Monday, November 22, 2010

Bronco Skytower no more; Display Names in Second Life - Viewer 2.3

From beta to production and now with Second Life viewer 2.3, I can finally use my own name for my avatar.  It never sat well with me to pretend being someone else.  I like to be me.

I have noticed in the week or so using viewer 2.3, that people are still calling me Bronco instead of Mark, even people I am acquainted with.  This means that others are not yet using the new viewer, but that will change.  There was one person in my friends list that I did not recognize and that is because he too is using his own name.

I wonder though, how many people will take off the mask and be themselves, at least by using their own name?  My assumption is that most people will not, since Second Life for many is really a double life.  Also, others worry about privacy violations.  For me though, and probably you too, I am all over the internet.  Any one of us can Google our own name and see links to LinkedIn, Facebook, websites, and so forth.  So for me, there is no issue of privacy.

Note former Bronco below in the photo, Bronco no more!:


No comments:

Post a Comment