Friday, April 1, 2011

Training Internal Staff with Second Life

Our department will conduct part of our annual retreat in Second Life sometime in May.  Part of the activities will be team building (games), and others will be presentations about the results of our teleworking committee (I am chair), and our strategic plan.  See, you really can do serious work in Second Life!

To prepare for this, I designed instruction of two trainings for our internal staff, which I am happy to share.  Training 1 is a watch and ask questions session where I teach staff by alternating my screen sharing between the Second Life Quick Start Guide (http://secondlife.com/support/quickstart/basic/all-in-one), and Second life where I demonstrate several of the different procedures as I explained concepts and taught vocabulary.  I screen shared using GoToMeeting.

For Training 2 learners will participate with avatars.  We will meet inworld on Wyoming Entrepreneur Island, then teleport to an orientation island with learning stations that allow learners to practice different skills, with me on hand as instructor to demonstrate (only if needed) and answer questions.

Today I taught the first Training 1 session and it went extremely well.  I have discovered not all staff are overly excited about learning Second Life since it takes some time and effort from other activities, and hey, we're all busy.  But this was encouraging.  Professional (including educational) activities in Second Life will only increase with time and we are doing ourselves a favor by adopting this technology.  Of course, Second Life is only one of many virtual worlds and in time, will have a viable competitor.  At least let's hope so.

Interested in a copy of my instructional design document?  Happy to share: mark.atkinson@uwyo.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment