Monday, August 10, 2009

Second Life for Dummies & the Kool-Aid Man

Before purchasing this book on Amazon, I used YouTube, Wikipedia, Second Life.com, and a few general Google searches to learn of this multi-user virtual environment.

Second Life for Dummies brings it all together by two authors that seem highly fluent in Second Life.

Here are a few news unique things I learned from the book (among many, many others):
  • Average user age is 28 (although probably rising)
  • Where to get lots of free stuff
  • What a SLURL is (and you should learn too)
  • You can become the Kool-Aid man or, Goofy or, a Jedi in SL
  • How to communicate effectively
  • Societal conventions
  • Sandboxes: places to practice building. I personally use EdTech and pretty much
    stay within the realms of higher education for this type of activity

Mainly bought the book to learn how to build, but the more learned the better. In a few chapters I start building...

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I am not quite there yet. This week I turn in a proposal for funding, and I am furiously learning to build, when I have time, and working with some academic groups in SL to learn the ropes.

    Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete